Updated on Tuesday, March 6, 2018: For most of us, it’s hard to recall what happened a few days ago, let alone last year. But it’s tax season and we have to start thinking about paying our dues for what we earned in 2017. Hopefully you’ll have a sweet, small fortune in the form of a tax refund coming your way so maybe it won’t be so bad.
Either way, why pay full price on your tax software when you don’t have to – right? That’s where we come in to help! Each tax season we here at Blacker Friday track top discounts and service codes/coupons on TurboTax to help you find the best price possible on your tax prep software. Here’s a list of our favorite TurboTax deals and service codes available through the month of March.
Our Favorite TurboTax Deals, March 2018:
- Offer #1: Get an EXTRA $10 to $20 off on TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, or the new Self-Employeed (formally called Home & Business) editions, when ordered directly at intuit.com.
- This is an instant offer with no rebates or codes required to activate they discount. That means that you’ll need to make your purchase from their special offers page to apply the lower price (ie. just follow the link provided above). Just be sure to file before April 15th, 2018. The online versions of TurboTax seem to be the most popular choice these last few years as there’s no software to install and you work on your return from any one of your computers or tablets (especially helpful if you and your spouse both work on your taxes together if you have an accountant review your return before filing).
- Offer #2: Save $10.00 to $20.00 on the CD/download version of TurboTax at intuit.com. The discount varies depending on the version: Basic and Deluxe is $10 off, Premier is $15 off, and the Home & Business version is $20 off.
- If you prefer to not work on tax return online and rather have everything on your local hard drive, then this is the way to go. You’ll also have the option to download and install the software after you complete your checkout so need to wait for any discs to arrive in the mail.
- Offer #3: The QuickBooks Self-Employed Tax bundle lets you use QuickBooks all year long and then, once tax season comes along, file with TurboTax Self-Employeed.
- If you’re already a QuickBooks user then this is definitely worth taking a look at, especially if you are a small business owner that prefers to back up your tax data online rather than having everything stored on your local hard drive. The plan is now on sale for $12/month for your first 6 months in the program. Then after the introductory period, it’ll cost you $17/month, but you’ll be able to cancel at any time.
- Offer #4: There’s something called the TurboTax Advantage Program where if you signup to their auto-renew program (where you buy TurboTax automatically each year once it’s released) you’ll get some extra free perks.
- It’s completely free to join and includes live phone support from a dedicated help line, free product shipping (if you choose the CD versions), and up to 3-years of access or re-download of your tax product purchased. See Intuit’s site for full details on the program.
- Offer #5: Haven’t ever used TurboTax before? Thinking about trying it for the first time this year? Or maybe you just want to estimate you tax refund? Then you can work through almost your entire return for free with any of TurboTax’s Online versions.
- It’ll guide you through your tax forms, apply your anticipated deductions and give you an overview on how big of a refund you can expect this year (or for those unlucky folks, how much you still owe in State and/or Federal taxes). You can also check out the bank syncing feature with your Bank of America, Citi, Discover, or any other larger financial institution and see how easy it is to import your tax data. Then once you reach the end, it’ll ask you to pay if you wish to file. If you don’t, it doesn’t cost you anything. It’s as simple as that!
- Offer #6: You’ve heard the saying “nothing in life is free” right? Well, for those serving our country in the military, you may qualify for free TurboTax software for the 2017 tax season with the TurboTax Freedom Edition.
- The free option for those in active military service (rank E1 through E5 only). If you rank E6 or higher it’s no longer free but there is an additional discount available for you. A military W2 tax form from 2016 is required to apply the discount. See Intuit.com for full details.
- Offer #7: Get up to $20.00 off on select TurboTax versions for 2017 on sale at Amazon. Free shipping is also included or you can also choose to download your software purchase.
- If you need the Desktop version of TurboTax, Amazon has all of them available and priced pretty competitively compared to the the competition. We’ve seen both the Premier and the Home and Business versions for up to $20.00 off the list price (that’s about 22% off or so). However, Amazon’s prices tend to vary daily and the discounts will be less as we reach the tax deadline Plus keep in mind that if you’re right up against the deadline, its probably a good idea to get the download version vs. waiting for the box to arrive in the mail.
- Offer #8: If you’re a poor student and are just filing a simple tax return this year, then you may be able to do so for free with the Federal Free Edition.
- Plus, TurboTax will help you find all of those sneaky education credits and deductions to help you get up to $1,000 back in education credits if you qualify. They also have a Benefit Assist feature that can help you find up to $2,000 in government benefits. And whatever tax refund that may be coming your way can be placed on a prepaid NetSpend Visa card.
- Offer #9: If you have any friends or family that have never used TurboTax but are looking to try it out this year, then be sure to send them your signup link. TurboTax, just like all other companies, love new customers and are willing to pay a referral fee to get them.
- In return for each qualifying new customer you send to TurboTax, you’ll get a $10.00 Amazon gift card for each person and your referrals will get a 20% off coupon to use as well on their tax software purchase – It’s a win-win for everyone! Offer expiration unknown.
You’ll notice that none of these offers on this page require you to use any physical coupon codes at checkout (or “service codes” as they are also know as). That’s because most of the deals are link-based, meaning they will be applied automatically to your order. Others, like the Amazon deals are just sale prices with most of the bundle offers require you to purchase two qualifying products to get the special discounted price. That’s simple enough, right?
Oh and we should also say that it’s also worth checking with your local credit union, credit card company or bank to see if they are partnered with TurboTax. In the past, financial institutions like Capital One, Bank of America, Citi Bank, Vanguard, Merrill Lynch, AAA, Nasa Federal Credit Union, PenFed, and Discover Card have all discounts in the past. Some of the deals we along the line of just a few bucks off while others offered up to $20.00 off. The discounts will vary by company and will depend on your customer level (in the past, premium-level customers were given the best discounts and sometimes even TurboTax for free).
Find any other good deals on TurboTax that aren’t yet posted here?
If you’ve found any other pretty good promotions on TurboTax or have a coupon code/service code to share with us, then let us know in the comments below.